If you suffer from chronic back pain and have shelled out thousands of dollars on ineffectual treatments, therapies, and equipment, you are not alone. Back pain is the number one ailment amongst working adults today, with the number of children presenting with back problems on the rise. In the majority of cases, the culprits are poor sitting posture, awkward body positioning, lack of good lumbar support, and prolonged sitting in front of a screen or behind a desk.
Orthopedic Chairs: A New Generation of Ergonomic Seating
The good news is that a new generation of ergonomic seating has been born: orthopedic office chairs. Created with the purpose of correcting your posture and keeping your body properly aligned, orthopedic chairs prevent pain to the back, neck and shoulders, keeping your back strong and healthy. State-of-the-art designs reduce stress on the joints and muscles, create balance between your weight and your body’s movement, and maintain pressure at the base of the spine where your back needs it the most. Finally, orthopedic chairs feature a slew of adjustable mechanisms which can be customized to suit the physique of each user.
What is Orthopedics, Anyway?
Orthopedics is the field of medicine which diagnoses and treats conditions, injuries, and disorders of the skeletal system, including your muscles, joints, and ligaments. Some of the common conditions treated by orthopedic doctors are back pain, foot and leg pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and sports injuries.
Orthopedic Office Chair Characteristics
So what sets orthopedic chairs for computer work apart from other chairs, making them a cut above the rest? Here are some the common characteristics of orthopedic office equipment:
- Improved lumbar support
- Adjustable mechanisms to provide maximum comfort and to accommodate all shapes and sizes (including people with mobility issues and/or disabilities)
- Pneumatic height feature, i.e. raising and lowering chairs to allow for customized seating
- Sloping and multi-tilt options, allowing for back-friendly posture changes while sitting
- Massage and/or rocking movements for huge benefits in back health
Orthopedic Breakthrough Designs
In today’s intense workplace settings, the health of your back depends on a proper chair that provides you with the support and comfort you need all day long. Recognizing that not every chair is right for every person, breakthrough technology has given rise to innovative orthopedic office chair designs, featuring strong, flexible seating and ergonomic solutions.
Making furniture that fits the worker (and not the other way around), here are some of the products which have evolved.
- Adjustable Chairs: By lowering the angle of the lower body, the spine is kept in natural alignment over the pelvis with the upper body in a natural position
- Mesh Task Chairs: Breathable, mesh back conforms to natural curvature of the spine, providing essential lumbar support and keeping users cool and comforted even on hot summer days
- ‘Smart’ Swing Chairs: These chairs automatically move as you move, providing full lumbar support and helping you maintain good posture throughout the day; features a seat and backrest which swing from a pivot point, matching the body’s center of gravity and rotating in concert with each user; facilitate small, hardly perceptible swinging motions to full incline position changes with immense health benefits to the back and body
- Big/Tall Orthopedic Chairs: Suitable for heights of up to 6 feet, 2 inches and weight-rated for up to 550lbs
- Massage Chairs: Intelligent massage robot provides full-body stretching massage function, including upper body (shoulder, neck, back and lumbar) and lower body (buttocks, thighs, calves and feet); comes complete with LCD display, remote control, and MP3 player
- Multi-Tilt Task Chair: Features a high back, multi-position tilt locking mechanism, tilt tension adjustment, pneumatic seat height and ratchet back adjustment, seat slider, and sleek modern design
Orthopedic Office Chairs: Good for Your Back, Good for Your Business
Not only do modern orthopedic office chairs significantly enhance workers’ comfort, health, and safety, but research confirms that orthopedic office equipment boosts employee moral, performance, and productivity. In fact, in order to comply with workplace safety regulations, more and more business owners are consulting with ergonomic specialists to assess their workplace settings and the needs of their employees and to get recommendations for orthopedic furniture which will maximize their employees’ ability to safely and efficiently do their jobs.
Finally, you can invest in your back and in your health by finding out about desk exercises recommended by orthopedists and by taking short “ergo” breaks throughout the day.
Karen Burke is the President and Founder of Kare Products. Karen has over 30 years of expertise creating ergonomic furniture that help avoid injury and promotes health for all types of discomfort and body sizes.